FOIA LEGAL MEMORANDUM AND FORM
Our client, Captain Jack Sparrow, was involved in a boating accident on Anderson Lake, Illinois. His boat was hit by another boat and it caused severe property damage and personal injury. There were several passengers on the other boat and the police completed a report. He wants us to sue the owner of the other boat. Our client didn’t get a copy of the accident report and we would like to interview all of the passengers. Your supervising attorney has asked you to file a Freedom of Information Request with the Illinois Department of Natural Resources (IDNR) in order to obtain a regular copy of the accident report. He also has many questions about filing the FOIA. He would like to know the following:
- How do we submit a FOIA request to the Illinois DNR?
- What happens after we submit the FOIA request?
- What is the response time for a FOIA request?
- Is there a charge for the accident report and how do we pay?
Part I: FOIA Form
Please download and complete a FOIA PDF form (Links to an external site.), requesting a paper copy of the accident report between our client and James Blackbeard on 6/4/2014.
You will need the following information:
- Field report number: 33400
- Boat registration number: IL 555000, 2014 Boat model: Sun Tracker Party Barge 24 DLX
- Our office name is: Hit & Sunck, 2000 LaSalle St, Suite 777, Chicago IL 60534 telephone: 312-555-5555
- Attorney: John Phillips Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Part II: Legal Memorandum
In addition to the FOIA form, please draft a 1-page legal memorandum to your attorney answering the above questions.
Your memorandum should be “Law Office Ready” and include all of the required elements of a memorandum. Legal Writing Resources section under Course Home if you need a templatedocument in the