Analyzing a Sample Argument
In the textbook, review the student essay on p. 199, “Allowing Guns on Campus Will Prevent Shootings, Rape.” What strengths and weaknesses do you find in Ohman’s essay? Does Ohman’s essay inflame or inform? Finally, does Ohman increase your literacy about violence or merely arouse your emotions.
As you review the student essay on p. 199, here are some questions to consider:
- The topic includes a story. What is the intent? What emotions does it stir up? Is this effective?
- What other techniques are there to grab the attention of a reader? See p. 408. What does the choice depend on?
- Can you find an example of one of the other introductory techniques in your research? How do the sources you’re using start their articles?
- Which technique will you use this week for your draft? What effect do you think it will have on your reader? Why .
- i uploaded the essay, please check if is uploaded