For this benchmark, create an in-depth, 15-20 slide PowerPoint presentation to inform other teachers in your school district of the benefits of using the SIOP model as a teaching framework. This presentation should elaborate on the empirical research that shows the benefits of the SIOP framework when used with general education students as well as with ELLs. Your presentation should include:
- A brief historical overview of some of the major educational policies that have shaped ELL instruction.
- A brief description of socioeconomic, political, and legal influences on instruction for ELLs.
- The eight interrelated components of the SIOP model, their application, and a teaching example for each component. Include a benefit for each SIOP component regarding how it contributes to an engaging curriculum and learning experience. The eight SIOP components are as follows:
- Lesson Preparation
- Building Background
- Comprehensible Input
- Practice and Application
- Lesson Delivery
- Review and Assessment
- Make a case for the importance of engaging in ongoing learning regarding innovative ways to utilize SIOP in your teaching.
- Include considerations about meeting ELL needs, such as access to academic classes, appropriate resources, and instructional technology, while working collaboratively with other school professionals from the perspective of an advocating leader.
Include title slide, presenter’s notes, in-text citations, and a reference slide that contains 3-5 sources from the required readings or the GCU Library.
While GCU style format is not required for the body of this assignment, solid academic writing is expected. For all assignment delivery options, documentation of sources should be presented using GCU formatting guidelines, which can be found in the GCU Style Guide, located in the Student Success Center.
This assignment uses a rubric. Review the rubric prior to beginning the assignment to become familiar with the expectations for successful completion.
You are required to submit this assignment to Turnitin.
Submit this assignment to your instructor in LoudCloud.