For this discussion activity, your scavenger hunt will consist of finding an example of where an organization and management excelled in taking care of and motivating employees, and then provide an example or experience where an organization failed in this area. Remember these examples can come from any organization. If you do find applicable information on your own organization while working on this discussion, use it where applicable in your own SWOT analysis. These examples can be from current events, historical instances, or classic examples, in video or print.
Conduct a web search seeking two examples of where you believe an organization’s human resource department has performed exceptionally well or failed terribly in motivating employees and creating an environment where employees want to be loyal and stay with the organization.
- Discuss what you found during your web search.
- Provide a description of how effective motivational techniques can and do affect all managers and organizations.
In response to your colleagues:
- Discuss any personal experiences you have had with human resources (both good and bad) and discuss some of the ways you’ve been motivated in the workplace.
- Discuss any similarities or differences with your own perceptions.
As with each discussion, when responding to your fellow classmates’ posts, you need to discuss their examples and experiences and present different thoughts and ideas on how best to approach and resolve these issues. In addition, as we work through the discussion, remember your own SWOT analysis and consider the information gained here as you work on your assignments this week.
Things to Remember!
- Post a 2 to 4 paragraph discussion post (300 words minimum). Justify your explanations by including in-text citations and references in APA format as applicable.
- Post your primary response on the discussion board by Thursday at 11:59 p.m. EST. Be sure to review your writing for grammar and spelling before posting. Read any postings already provided by your instructor or fellow students.
- Read and respond to at least two of your classmates. Remember to read the feedback to your own major postings and reply to it throughout the module.
Use resources to properly cite your work: