The Medical Staff Coordinator has again called upon your expertise in the area of healthcare law. You have been asked to provide a written discussion of the basic fundamentals of law. You are asked to provide the information outlined below and use research (at least two sources) to substantiate your discussion.
- Discuss the difference between public and private law.
- Summarize the different sources of law:
- Common Law
- Statutory Law
- Administrative Law
Discuss ONE of the following acts and use the questions below to guide your response:
- Privacy Act
- Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act
- Emergency Medical Treatment and Active Labor Act
- Health Care Quality Improvement Act
- Ethics in Patient Referral Act
- Patient Self Determination Act
- Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act
Questions to guide your response:
- What is the date of enactment of this ACT?
- What led to the enactment of this ACT?
- What are criminal penalties, if any, for violation of this ACT?
- Who is governed by this ACT?
- What are some of the key provisions of this ACT?
- Discuss the impact the ACT has had on health care since it was implemented.