1. In this section we look at a form of thinking that goes beyond Piaget’s final stage. Considering that many people do not even achieve formal operational thinking, it might seem odd to speak of cognitive skills that are above and beyond what Piaget envisioned. Why might Piaget not have recognized that there was a form of thinking more sophisticated than his final stage? As always, be sure to explain your answer thoroughly.
2. Is young adulthood better characterized as a period of health-improving lifestyles or health-impairing lifestyles? Be sure to explain and justify your response.
3. What is the psychosocial task of young adulthood? In your opinion, does Erikson’s vision of the psychosocial task of young adulthood still apply today? Why or why not? As always, be sure to explain yourself fully.
4. (a) How do expectations about marriage contribute to the failure of marriages? (b) What other factors can you identify that explain today’s high divorce rate? Please provide at least two – consider how times have changed and other relevant things that you have read about. (c) Is there any evidence to suggest that marriage is actually good for you? As always, be sure to explain yourself and to answer all parts of the question.
5. Explain, in your own words,consensual validation and the matching hypothesis.Be sure to differentiate between the two concepts. Based on your experience, do you see support for these concepts? As always, be sure to explain and support your response.
6. Describe two studies that could be conducted to identify a biological basis for sexual orientation. (This is a thought question –don’t be looking for the answer in your text!) Considering the research that has been conducted (and discussed in the text and/or elsewhere), what do you think determines sexual orientation?
7. Consider the concept of “emerging adulthood”. Explain why this stage has been proposed and what it is. Is there a need, in your opinion, for this view of adulthood? Why or why not?
- Which do you think has a greater impact on personality, nature or nurture? What evidence (i.e., research) is there to prove your position? (Your answer must reference and describe at least two specific and appropriate studies for full credit. (3 points)
- How does the 5-Factor Theory explain personality? Describe yourself using the 5-Factor Theory of Personality. Be sure to read and understand the theory before you begin. (2 points)
- What are “defense mechanisms”? Are defense mechanisms healthy? What is “reaction formation”? Provide an example to illustrate your understanding. (3 points)
- Explain the difference between an objective and a projective test. Which type of test is most useful in measuring personality? Be sure to explain your selection. (2 points)