Capstone Project Instructions:
1. Read the instructions carefully! The assignment will be graded based on your ability to follow instructions!
2. Write a short answer essay to answer the question in the capstone project. Your short answer essay should consist of two paragraphs. The first paragraph is the thesis statement (a one sentence paragraph) and the second paragraph should elaborate in more detail on the “why” and “how” question already answered in the thesis statement.
This is not a three to five paragraph essay, so write only two paragraphs and do not write a conclusion.
3. Do not underestimate the amount of time needed to complete this assignment! Start working on the assignment early in the week so that you can submit the assignment well before the deadline because emergencies tend to happen right around the deadline and if you don’t have time to deal with unexpected events, then you won’t be able to submit the assignment and you’ll miss it!
4. You can go back to the capstone project any number times before it closes Monday morning, just make sure that as long as you wish to go back you click on Continue Later.
5. Read the Thesis Statement handouts posted in Modules before you start writing your essay. Use the checklist for the thesis statement (TS) below to gauge the correctness of your thesis statement.
You have to answer “Yes” to the following questions if your thesis statement has all the attributes it should have:
- Is the TS one sentence and one sentence only?
- If the TS is an argument, then does it contain words like because, since, so, although, unless, if, if then, and however?
- Does the TS answer the “why” or “how” question?
- Is the TS specific and consistent with economic theory?
- Is the TS an intelligible sentence that the reader can make sense out of?
6. The work has to be solely yours. The short answer essay should reflect your understanding of economic theory at the point the assignment is due as well as your computer skills.
Grading: The assignment is worth 40 points and will be graded with the help of the rubric shown below.